Coltuk.org

Mitsubishi Colt Owners Club
It is currently December 16th, 2018, 3:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: MP3 input for Colt (not CZ2)
PostPosted: May 21st, 2016, 11:27 pm 
Member not yet aquired a rank

Model: CZ (2004 - Present)
Ok. So I realise this thread is quite old but I have just managed to achieve this, and so thought I'd share the results in case it is a help to someone else. The standard non aux factory radio does indeed have AUX capabilities. If you hold CD the display will beep and change input to aux. I had a great deal of fun finding the correct pins on the back of the stereo- it was a real eureka moment when it finally worked. My process of trial and error was thus: remove the white molex plug on the left hand side of the rear of the radio and check which pins are not in use. Strip off the ends of an rca cable and plug into my iPod, setting it to play a song. Press wires against pins until music is heard. I then pushed the ends of some wire through the plug to engage the pins and used contact blocks to attach to the rca cables. However there are three pins to use. One is left, right and the other is ground. You need to engage ground to get a clear and loud signal. Otherwise audio will be faint. You can test this by pressing the rca cable shield (ground) against the radio casing. The sound will increase as the circuit is completed. Pics can be uploaded on request.

PostPosted: May 27th, 2016, 10:32 am 
New to this Colt stuff
New to this Colt stuff

Model: CZT (2005 - Present)
Ive only recently done exactly the same thing! :D I have yet to wire it in fully and like you found that when the ground was bad I only had a very faint signal but sound non the less :D
Ive used a 3.5mm jack to plug into an MP3 player. I could do with finding the correct pins to go into the molex plug.

PostPosted: June 12th, 2016, 8:37 am 
New to this Colt stuff
New to this Colt stuff

Anyone have any pictures of the process above please? I'm sure I know what you mean, however visuals always help me, thanks!

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2016, 6:51 pm 
New to this Colt stuff
New to this Colt stuff

Hope this helps. Ive yet to think of a proper pin input. They are quite long going through that plug.

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2016, 8:11 pm 
New to this Colt stuff
New to this Colt stuff

mcalvert39 wrote:

Hope this helps. Ive yet to think of a proper pin input. They are quite long going through that plug.

That certainly does, yes thank you, so just the 2 wires for left and right? Is there a negative/ground? cheers.

PostPosted: July 24th, 2016, 9:34 am 
New to this Colt stuff
New to this Colt stuff

Yes. I bought a male 3.5m audio plug with bare ends. Has three wires, red, white and earth. The earth just goes to well... any earth :D
The sound isn't brilliant but I suppose with abit more fiddling it maybe better.
Im just unsure how to keep the wires in there.

PostPosted: July 24th, 2016, 8:43 pm 
New to this Colt stuff
New to this Colt stuff

cool, thanks, i'm on it...

PostPosted: November 17th, 2016, 10:35 am 

Hello all :)

So I bought the colt a few days ago and wanted AUX. So I read up, found this forum and thought I'd share what I did to get a decent sound. First I bought http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/single-pin-interconnect-colour-cables-004m-8-pack-a39gf and this http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/35mm-plastic-stereo-line-socket-rk51f and this http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-equipment-wire-24-02mm-black-10m-kr31j.

Follow me at your own risk

So, I was reading the earlier comments about people having issues with getting a good connection and that's when it hit me. Jumper cables, rather than having to connect into the cable mount at the back why not go straight through it. So I got my trusty drill and drilled through the side of the connection cable that had no original wires in it. (Right side of pics other people added).

I then took my new aux socket and soldered it to 3 different lengths of wire. Next I took the trim that has the cigarette lighter on it and drilled it and mounted my new aux port. (note when finally screwing it in and testing I found my solder connections were not the best So I trimmed the black screw on case down so that it didn't effect the terminals.)

Now, the main event.
I took the 3 jumper cables, which have a male and female ends and I cut off two male, one female. So left I had two female jump cables and one male jump cable. The left over male is attached to the earth connection of the AUX port. The two females are attached to the two remaining. You can use different colours if you want :) Now, from the top right of the connector that you drilled though you will see I think four pins underneath. Counting from the top right, skip one, then plug into the next two, leaving you at least one remaining. something like this (X=input 0=empty, there may only be one empty on the left I didn't count :P) 00XX0. Lastly your earth. To the left of the connector you drilled through you will see a large thicker black cable. Take your male earth connector and Wedge it in between the connector and the crimp that attaches it to the plug.

Now we are ready to test. Allowing your soldering is good the only thing left to work out is which of your cables controls the right speakers and which the left. Just listen to a music track you know really well. If it sounds off but you cant work out why then swap the female connectors around. Should sound better now and your all done. Close it up and enjoy :) Pics if Requested.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Last edited by AceRimmer on November 18th, 2016, 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: November 17th, 2016, 1:13 pm 
New to this Colt stuff
New to this Colt stuff

Nice one, pictures for me would make a world of difference :D

PostPosted: November 17th, 2016, 3:04 pm 

riot68 wrote:
Nice one, pictures for me would make a world of difference :D

Rodger that, will get to it later on!

PostPosted: November 17th, 2016, 4:37 pm 
New to this Colt stuff
New to this Colt stuff

Nice one, cheers...

PostPosted: November 18th, 2016, 11:07 am 

riot68 wrote:
Nice one, cheers...

Images are up here pal. Got a video I can upload later on when I get to my other phone.

http://imgur.com/a/K70cu