Coltuk.org

Mitsubishi Colt Owners Club
It is currently August 18th, 2019, 9:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Notice to non-paying members: Do not place Classifieds in here, they will be swiftly deleted!

Post subject: power steering pump leak
PostPosted: September 16th, 2013, 10:22 pm 
Totally Addicted to Colt!

Model: CJ (1996 - 2004)
: 1.8 4g93T GSR
OK so when i re fitted my sump all seemed to be well, I had the oil in the car all day not a drop of oil came out. I then started the car up and left running for a while to warm up and happily there was no sighs of any leaks then after I stopped it and checked for the last time I saw a drop come down! On closer inspection though it looks to have come from the power steering pump (the fluid I use is the same colour as engine oil) and it had found a path down to look like it was coming from the sump so my sump hasn't been leaking after all.

The banjo bolt and the rubber pipe both show no signs of any leaks but i'm almost certain that the oil is coming from the pump because it is running down the black cast bracket that holds the pump. Any ideas of where to check? I didn't get much chance to look too closely tonight because I didn't finish work until about 9

Project thread - viewtopic.php?f=93&t=23657

Post subject: Re: power steering pump leak
PostPosted: September 16th, 2013, 10:39 pm 
Proud Colt Owner
Proud Colt Owner

Take the belt off, run the engine (or drive it for a while) if the leak stopped thats Your power steering pump so just replace that and it should sort the problem.

1.3 turbocharged with water/alcohol injection FTO project :
http://www.fto-ireland.com/forum/viewto ... =1&t=14454

PostPosted: September 16th, 2013, 10:43 pm 

brccrx wrote:
Take the belt off, run the engine (or drive it for a while) if the leak stopped thats Your power steering pump so just replace that and it should sort the problem.

Yeah that's what I have planned for tomorrow, don't suppose there are any places the pump is likely to leak from other than the fittings? I guess if i take it off it will be easy enough to see

PostPosted: September 16th, 2013, 10:45 pm 
Proud Colt Owner
Proud Colt Owner

mike_980 wrote:
brccrx wrote:

Yeah that's what I have planned for tomorrow, don't suppose there are any places the pump is likely to leak from other than the fittings? I guess if i take it off it will be easy enough to see

Hmm, the only spot i can think off is the fittings tbh, ive never seen P/S pump leaking elsewhere than them connections.

Sometimes the engine oil leaking from under the rocker cover gasket in that corner behind the black bracket might look like P/S oil leak!! This more likely to happen than leaking P/S itself.

PostPosted: September 16th, 2013, 11:00 pm 

brccrx wrote:
mike_980 wrote:
brccrx wrote:

Hmm, the only spot i can think off is the fittings tbh, ive never seen P/S pump leaking elsewhere than them connections.

Sometimes the engine oil leaking from under the rocker cover gasket in that corner behind the black bracket might look like P/S oil leak!! This more likely to happen than leaking P/S itself.

Cheers, i'll be sure to check this tomorrow but like I say I only took a quick look tonight because I was in a rush to get back inside. Before taking the pump off and messing on with all that i'll have a good look round the rocker cover and take that off if it looks like that's the cause

PostPosted: September 16th, 2013, 11:08 pm 
Proud Colt Owner
Proud Colt Owner

Ok, good luck with it then so, hope U'll find the problem and get it fix easy :)

PostPosted: September 18th, 2013, 8:27 pm 

Ok so today I had a much closer look but didn't manage to get the bloody crank pulley off to have a proper look behind it. It does however look like the oil on my power steering pump was just from me filling it and some must have dripped down and remained there.

I also took the cambelt cover off and looked at the rocker cover and the head gasket around the area of the drip but both are as clean as a whistle!

I will be able to get the crank pulley off tomorrow to look behind that but I suspect that if I am correct and it is coming from above the sump, the only real place it can be coming from is the crank seal :( I have checked everything else in that area but I can't be 100% until I get that big pulley off to have a good luck behind it which I can hopefully do tomorrow when I get my impact wrench back

If it is the crank seal, god forbid, what sort of job is this?

PostPosted: September 18th, 2013, 9:32 pm 

Model: N/A
: Shake and Bake!
Seal is just pressed into the oil pump housing, once the old one is out, just spray the inside of the new one with some oil and refit. Use a big socket or a piece of tube to tap it home. Getting the old one out is the trickiest bit. You have to take the cam belt off anyway, so you may find it easier to just pull the whole oil pump off and do it that way.

Not particularly difficult, just a ball ache because of where it's located. Definitely check everything else to rule other sources out first!

PostPosted: September 19th, 2013, 8:59 pm 

Cheer for the advice, Got the cambelt and stuff off after work tonight and it is leaking from that seal 100%, ordered a new one and it will be at my local dealership in the morning so I can fit it over the weekend if I get time!

PostPosted: August 10th, 2019, 10:17 pm 
Member not yet aquired a rank
Member not yet aquired a rank

Model: Lancer
Top quality internet security software without any charges for blocking spyware and viruses. We are also into identifying unsafe search results and links.
Get unlimited virus removal services from us.
Avail unlimited computer tune-ups.
Software and hardware installations along with operating system installation. We provide installation and configuration services for different applications.
We are also into providing set up and installation services for cameras, printers and MP3 players.

Get your new computer set up and installed by our technical assistance team and enjoy unrestricted hours of using your devices without any major or minor hassles.
We provide e-reader and tablet set up services along with printer installation and troubleshooting solutions.
Hardware set up services
Recovery services
Data backup and transfer solutions
Geek squad tech support