Post subject: New Radiator Advice
PostPosted: January 31st, 2017, 1:06 pm 
New to this Colt stuff
New to this Colt stuff

Model: CJ (1996 - 2004)
: 2002 Attivo
My radiator is crumbling:

https://goo.gl/photos/tQi797JMRCgGpNnz8

And it isn't taking the engine long to see the temp gauge rise to almost half way. I'm not sure if that's normal, but I've noticed a slightly orange tinge to the coolant too, both in the expansion tank and the radiator itself, so this area definately needs attention. Thinking of visiting a scrap yard to find a replacement, which Mitsubishi engines have compatible radiators?

Post subject: Re: New Radiator Advice
PostPosted: January 31st, 2017, 8:22 pm 
The Allrounder

: CJ RS EvoBorg 99% Complete
As long as it sits at half way there's not an issue (i.e. after a run, if you're sat in traffic does it rise past half way?).

The orange tinge could be coolant (have seen many various colours), or it could be rust in the liquid (especially the case if it's been water filled rather than coolant).

The rad does look pretty fubar'd though!

PostPosted: January 31st, 2017, 10:28 pm 
New to this Colt stuff
New to this Colt stuff

I've noticed it fluctuate but I've only done an hour in it, one journey, mostly 60/70. Anyways I probably shouldn't have paid what I did for it with such issues, but still glad I've got a mitsu. The rad's infill ribbon, or whatever, flakes to the touch, wherever you touch it. It's clearly q good idea to invest here. Here's q thing, never noticed the ac fan kick in, when's that supposed to happen? Time to get myself to the members section me thinks.

PostPosted: January 31st, 2017, 10:31 pm 
New to this Colt stuff
New to this Colt stuff

oh yeah, was up half way after idling and manouvering a bit today, nothing major at all. Clearly time to get busy. Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: February 1st, 2017, 6:57 pm 
The Allrounder

: CJ RS EvoBorg 99% Complete
It will do, halfway is the normal operating temperature. The thermostat won't open until it reaches operating temperature, i.e. the coolant circulates purely around the engine until it reaches a certain temp, before the thermostat opens and allows the coolant to then go through the radiator.

You definitely need a new rad, that's for sure, but in the winter, and with not driving it much, it isn't a critical issue... yet!

The radiator and (if applicable) air con fans will only kick in above a certain temp, so if they haven't, it's fine. Although if the temp needle starts climbing a few marks past halfway, and they haven't kicked in, then something is wrong with the fans. If you're sat idling, then turn off the engine. If you're in traffic, get the interior fans on full blast and turn the temperature onto full heat, that will help delay the engine overheating.

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2017, 12:10 am 
New to this Colt stuff
New to this Colt stuff

Cheers mate, once again you quell my fears. The first vehicle I bought (Peugeot Partner), ended up with a snapped timing belt, thus cam in three pieces, all the bearing mounts blown, god knows what else. That was just before New Year, barely had it two weeks. So I'm a very 'easy' rider atm. Other engines I've driven, a Focus, Partner, few others, seem to operate normally around the quarter to third mark, as I remember. I do however, remember the sound of a timing belt snapping, cylinder head opening up, and subsequent winding down of cylinders, just after I looked at the temp guage, somewhere around half way.