Post subject: Holes in oil sump pan advice
PostPosted: January 31st, 2017, 12:55 pm 
New to this Colt stuff
New to this Colt stuff

Model: CJ (1996 - 2004)
: 2002 Attivo
Discovered a leak from the oil sump pan on my 2002 Attivo:

https://goo.gl/photos/DoytFPEXpBzvjg5J7

That's after power brushing away the rust which was covering the holes. I was considering getting a new sump pan but would like to do a temporary job until the weather improves a bit as I'm still looking for a garage to do reapairs and store the car in. Any recommendations to repair this temporarily? Have a few friends who are welders, but don't really want to tackle removing the whole pan right now if I can help it. Would like to clean up the area, seal the holes, and get some protective paint or similar on there for the time being. I've drained the oil, considering applying some PU sealer and some mastic tape for good measure once sealant has cured. The rest of the engine/body seems sound in terms of weathering, but around here has took a bit of a beating, exhaust bolts look like they'll need grinding off (see pic below) in order to replace the whole pan.

https://goo.gl/photos/nXBiL2T4hMrDNKbZ9

Post subject: Re: Holes in oil sump pan advice
PostPosted: January 31st, 2017, 8:17 pm 
The Allrounder

: CJ RS EvoBorg 99% Complete
That sump looks fit for the bin! My main concern about patching it up temporarily (and not removing it) would be that bits of rust could fall into the sump, get sucked up by the pickup, and either block it, or get circulated around the engine.

Changing a sump isn't overly difficult and can be easily done on the side of the road. From memory it's 10mm bolts all the way round, although on the Evo engine I had to remove a little plate which sits near the gearbox too, not sure how it would be on the colt engine.

PostPosted: February 6th, 2017, 2:40 am 
New to this Colt stuff
New to this Colt stuff

Thanks Andy. I got the sump off a few days ago but had to have a neighbour rattle the self locking nuts off the front exhaust pipe before it would free. Took him a braze gun, 18mm 6 point (opn 17mm nuts), the fittings were well beyond, like the sump, but they came off after a good half hour. Love my neighbour. And need to order new oil pan, can't find one through Andrew Page or GSF but one on ebay for under £35.

Yeah I had a look in the gearbox at a lovely big, small toothed cog, is that 1st gear then :)? That's my first proper encounter into a gearbox, I know nothing, but remember thinking it was a huge box looking from above.

All of this part of the engine has suffered around the sump, along with the radiator there. In the photo below I've brushed it a bit with an oily grinder brush, and would like to get it coated with something for protection, after a proper cleanup. Have you any advice on this? I've seen sump protectors and the sort in use, and looking for approaches to this. This part of the engine is just gonna take more of beating the way it is now. Great for cooling the block I'm sure but the car is already plenty old and needs looking after.

https://goo.gl/photos/CQr3978ht1LwVxqb7

PostPosted: February 6th, 2017, 7:31 pm 
The Allrounder

The big cog is your flywheel, the teeth slot into the starter motor :)

There's no point spending too much as it's already fairly bad, but to make it last i'd just recommend cleaning away as much of the flakes as you can, and then painting it with something like hammerite, which will slow down/stop the corrosion - oh and use a tin and brush, not spray on.

PostPosted: February 7th, 2017, 1:52 am 
New to this Colt stuff
New to this Colt stuff

Thanks man, sounds like the surest approach.

PostPosted: February 7th, 2017, 7:11 pm 
The Allrounder

No worries!