PostPosted: October 18th, 2007, 6:09 pm 
South East Meet Organiser

Model: CJ (1996 - 2004)
: slowly building a hybrid cj
Sources:
Japanese Performance Nov '07
amdtechnik.com
IMI NVQ level 3 Tech Notes
Come Tuning your engine you have enough choices to keep you busy after first of all choosing which engine it is you want to be using (See Stef's engine conversion guide). You can boost performance by fitting performance cams, right the way through to induction kits or even Forced injection, the main problem that people happen to come across by doing this however is forgetting that for every mechanical change made, no matter how insignifican will, will alter the vehicles fueling and ignition requirments. This can also cause the opposite effect to adding these toys to your engine, causing possible performance loss, turn your pride and joy into a non-runner or even serious damage to the old girl.
Ignition timing and fueling settings are stored within the factory fitted Engine Control Unit/Module (ECU/ECM) as a set of Date 'Maps' (Hence the terms 'Mapping' and 'Re-map'). The challange we are provided with is how to make the most out of our motors and optimise the fuel and ignition maps to suit the tweeks made to our engines.
In the end there are 4 re-mapping choices we have to face, and choose which one is right for our purpose.
Choice 1:
This is a recent inovation that suits the increasing variety of jap mahcines, and involves re-mapping the stock ECU via the OBD port (on board diognostics). The main problem with this is not all mitsubishis are catered for, as well as being a very limited option on future upgrades.
Choice 2:
Chipping has been popular over the years with many companies offering such service, this works in a simular way to that of re-mapping the stock ECU but rather than editing the date on the ECU a new chip is placed in the ECU, replaceing the old one with the details pre-stored after previous tuning of another car in that range. This is done by un-soldering then old chip and soldering in the new - http://www.amdtechnik.com/technical.chiptuning.cfm - AmD offer this service and a FAQ on chip-tuning/re-mapping.
Choice 3:
Piggyback ECU's, this option gives you more freedom to work with than the stock ECU, working on the princiable of splitting the mapping function between itself and the stock unit, only operating where its influance is required but the stock ECU still runs most of the engine functions such as idle speed and rev limit. The piggyback ECU is wired to intercept the tweaks and signals emerging from the stock ECU and alters the critical settings inline with its mapping, and hey presto you have an extreemly effective setup and arguably the best of both worlds ....
Choice 4:
The Stand alone ECU, this is put in the place of your stock unit and requires the entire mapping to be set up from scratch, this is the most expensive of options, with the unit, loom and mapping time easily reaching into 4 figure sums. However with the rigth softwear and operator knowledge the world becomes your osyter.
The lower budget options will cover what you require at the time but if you're a true petrol head and love to mod your motor you will need to look to the future, and this will mean looking for the more expensive options. You might have a 1.8 block in your car at the time of purchasing the option that seems right to you, but looking to the future at maybe turbo'ing/supercharging later in life, you will need to take this sort of information into account when setting up your ECU option as it will cost you less money in the long run.
For drag racing and time attack nutters you can also get datalogging with the unit but this does require a deep pocket.
Now the power of the unit. A common set up found in most piggyback ECU's is a 16bit system which is capabile of most applications you require but high end boast 32bit processors which are capible of coping with the likes of NOS.
There are many choices avaliable on the ECU market, with such supplies as HKS, GReddy, A'PEXI and ECUTek being able to arrange setups to the specs you provide, ECU's are a damn important bit of modern day motoring and it's always good to treat your car to the best it can get.

I'm wearing thin, wearing out, becomming weak, holding onto this rope, shes my self distructive - trivium

.. i may talk the talk, but being a hearo, **** thats 24/7 and i'm strictly 9 to 5 ...

Post subject: Re: ECU's
PostPosted: October 18th, 2007, 6:20 pm 
Totally Addicted to Colt!

: 1.5 Mirage Coupe (Asti)
Thank you Gaff, that's some excellent information!
Joe

Disclaimer: Everything that I post on this forum I claim to be fact, through either doing it myself, assisting others directly or from 'Coltman'. Whether you choose to take my advice is your choice

Post subject: Re: ECU's
PostPosted: December 19th, 2007, 2:01 am 

: Sticker Bomb.
I think I'll get a piggyback for my new cj and have a bit of a tinker with that and while I'm at it make a bit of a sleeper too to give the little corsa boys a scare and a second thought XD ;D