Coltuk.org

Mitsubishi Colt Owners Club
It is currently October 16th, 2018, 5:50 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: CA and CJ carbon bonnets!!
PostPosted: November 25th, 2012, 4:25 pm 
Totally Addicted to Colt!

Model: CJ (1996 - 2004)
: CJ5A 4G93T
sptb wrote:
Spetz wrote:
Doing the skin would be pointless as the weight saving would be negligible.
I meant would it be possible to replace the whole door with carbon?
I know they weigh about 40kg each, and I know the carbon doors for RX7s weigh about 3kg.
So maybe doing 2 doors could save 70kg roughly? Pretty huge weight saving.

You can get an incredible amount of weight out of standard doors by carefully removing unnecessary steel and mechanisms and poly windows etc For instance there are side impact protection bars in there that weigh quite a lot - central locking and associatted wiring far more steel than is needed to support the window mechs which can be cut away.

Pic of one of my rear doors. locking mech still works but the plasic windows are fixed up. No wiring in door at all, it had windows, locks and stereo wiring, (short 4 door) door bar removed. internal steel work removed. Door card still goes in place and holds on standard fittings, if I didn't have to keep the door cards for the rules I compete under I could have removed even more of the steel.

niiice, any idea what sort of saving you managed with all that work?

PostPosted: November 25th, 2012, 11:17 pm 

Model: CJ (1996 - 2004)
: 6A12 MIVEC
sptb wrote:
Spetz wrote:
I know they weigh about 40kg each, and I know the carbon doors for RX7s weigh about 3kg.

You can get an incredible amount of weight out of standard doors by carefully removing unnecessary steel and mechanisms and poly windows etc For instance there are side impact protection bars in there that weigh quite a lot - central locking and associatted wiring far more steel than is needed to support the window mechs which can be cut away.

Pic of one of my rear doors. locking mech still works but the plasic windows are fixed up. No wiring in door at all, it had windows, locks and stereo wiring, (short 4 door) door bar removed. internal steel work removed. Door card still goes in place and holds on standard fittings, if I didn't have to keep the door cards for the rules I compete under I could have removed even more of the steel.

The side intrusion beam would save a bit of weight and this might be ok for the rear doors of a track car, but the front (and only) doors of a street car can't have safety equipment removed in my opinion.

PostPosted: November 25th, 2012, 11:55 pm 

Model: Proton
: Persona 4G92 Mivec
Spetz wrote:
sptb wrote:
Spetz wrote:

The side intrusion beam would save a bit of weight and this might be ok for the rear doors of a track car, but the front (and only) doors of a street car can't have safety equipment removed in my opinion.

I agree - but I have a full cage with door bars across the front doors which are far more substantial as they are tied into the cage not just wedged across the door apeture. I have yet to remove the front ones but will be, but they are more difficult to get out as I wish to retain the electric windows.

Same goes for carbon doors - they really are not substantial enough for road use - carbon/kevlar would be better but even those won't offer the protection of a standard door. A point to note is the MSA ban the use of non steel doors (unless standard equipment) on rally cars but do not ban the lightening of doors - which is common place on cars that do not have to run to homologation papers