It is currently August 22nd, 2018, 6:00 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Help with starting issues
PostPosted: May 25th, 2017, 7:09 pm 
Member not yet aquired a rank
Member not yet aquired a rank

Model: CJ (1996 - 2004)
Hi guys,

A few days ago my battery decided to leave it's holder and drop into the cavity next to the engine. Since then I've had massive issues, before it ran perfectly. The car is a '03 1.3 attivo II. I managed to nurse it home, but it cost me £15 quid in fuel to travel 40 miles. So the fuel consumption after it happened shot up.

Since it happened, it's incredibly hard to start, misfiring, with black smoke coming out the rear when revved. The engine shakes violently if it does start, and continues to do so, and is incredibly quiet. I can't hear any untoward noises from the head.

I saw some wire damage on the temp sender unit, so I replaced the unit it to no avail. I have also checked for spark on all 4 plugs, and there is. The fuel pump is also working. I have charged the battery, and tried another battery to make sure. I have also checked all the vacuum hoses, and fuses.

I can't figure out why the battery falling to the right into the cavity can suddenly cause all these issues. Everything worked perfectly before. :swear . Any other ideas before I scrap it. :puker

Post subject: Re: Help with starting issues
PostPosted: May 26th, 2017, 4:19 pm 
The Allrounder

Model: CJ (1996 - 2004)
: CJ RS EvoBorg 99% Complete
I'd say that whilst you're getting spark, it's probably not sparking fully in one or more of the cylinders meaning not a full burn, hence the juddering and black smoke.

Personally, I'd be starting from the wires that attach to the battery, checking everything and working my way out. Was there any sign of a short (the + terminal/wires touching something else?)?